Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The Importance of Good Sound

The title says it all. Recently I watched a movie on Netflix called "Paintball".  Almost the whole film was shot in what felt like found footage but was more of a "we don't own a tripod" shaky cam. Although this was an issue the fact stands that the audio for this film was so low that at normal viewing volume it could not be heard and when we cranked up the volume it was still extremely hard to hear. The film was low budget and really crappy but over all plot was sound and the footage (although shaky at times) was good. I can even say the lighting was fair. The sound issue was what killed this movie for me. It told the story very well visual, I can only imagine how it would have been if both were pair perfectly.

The importance of sound quality is bigger then just being able to hear the film. Sound creates a completely different world. I have no problem listening to a T.V. show but if there is a lack of sound I must fix the issue or I will just not watch it. Sound also helps with moving a scene along. I could go on but it just seems like I would start restating myself. The point stands, low sound is better then no sound, bad sound is better then low sound, and good sound is better then bad sound.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that sound is important. I had to stop watching Boardwalk Empire -- although it is a really good show with a great plot -- because the sound was just horribly mixed. The ambiance almost never matched and it bothered me the whole time.

    ReplyDelete