Friday, April 18, 2014

Fast Cuts and Setting the Mood in Captain America: The Winter Soldier

I recently went to see the new Captain America movie and noticed something immediately. There are always obnoxiously fast cuts during fight scenes. I realize the purpose of this is to mask punches not actually being landed and kicks missing their mark but it made me as an audience member extremely annoyed. We barely got to see anything the two characters were doing because the flashes of action lasted less than a second so really we were only able to get a general sense of what was going on when I would have appreciated seeing more.

The second thing I noticed is the newfound popularity of the Blair Witch Project-esque camera techniques. A two shot in a tense, anxiety riddled scene would be hand held and shaky, with the close ups being done in-take and bouncing from one face to another. I'm usually not a fan of this since it tends to make me ill but their choice of doing this only when the mood allowed for it was actually fairly genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment