Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Blog 4

A movie I watched recently was "Drinking Buddies" on Netflix. It wasn't my favorite film, but I thought certain things about it was really interesting. I noticed it was mostly hand held, so once the movie was over I started googling things about the film. Firstly, Swansberg directed it. I read that it was unscripted and that instead of writing a screenplay, Swansberg discussed the characters and story with his cast and filled in the blanks during post. (editing process) I thought it was interesting that there wasn't any script. Thinking back to it now, some points were a little awkward and I can't tell if that's what he wanted or it's just how the actors were.  I found an article where it says, "With Joe, there is no script," Richardson explains. "In our first conversations, we talked about how we enjoyed filmmaking as 'creation in the moment,' as much as about planning and preparation. For Drinking Buddies, we just had a two-page outline describing where the characters needed to go. It was very loose." 
Another thing I found interesting, was the camera, as I mentioned. I found another article where it states,
"Richardson says he used minimal equipment when it came to lighting, but that doesn't mean he wasn't fussy about illuminating his shots. "I'm very particular about the way I cut light," he says. "I'll spend as much time as tweaking and refining the lights as placing them. [In cinematography] you're always trying to bring a three-dimensional feel to a two-dimensional image." I thought this was interesting because how aren't you fussy when it comes to putting together a film?? Looking back at the film, it does look fine to me, but that just be my opinion. You guys should check it out and let me know your thoughts. I also found an article where someone says, "The freedom accorded the actors in performance sometimes argued for a handheld camera. In many situations, Richardson would light a set for 360 degrees to facilitate this approach." I thought that was really interesting and definitely was smart. Since it was unscripted, you never know what the actor is going to do or how they're going to portray something that the director wanted. So for handheld and set for lights 360 degrees, was a smart thing to do. Overall, the film was really interesting. I thought the ending was going to be different to be honest. I would spoil anything for you guys, so go check it out when you have time. 

1 comment:

  1. Agree completely about the lighting! You need to be fussy if you are going to make something worthwhile to watch.

    ReplyDelete