Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Catching fire: B-Roll and added effects


I have been a fan of this movie since it was released, however, now as a production student I tend to look at certain scenes differently and the type of equipment used on certain films. I know that this movie is one of the most popular movies today and I was curious to see the way they filmed and the equipment used. For the first video, I was extremely surprised to see that most of it was shot handheld. The producers of the film held the cameras most of the time instead of rolling it or putting it on a stand. The type of camera is obviously highly priced but it looked like the producers shook often while filming and it is clear that a lot of after editing was done to stabilize the scenes. I also thought the after effects used in this film were interesting but always wondered how they were exactly done. For example in the film, Catching Fire, the scene where they are fighting the monkeys. In the second video, around 1:25, the actors are in a lake shooting at imaginary monkeys. I obviously knew these monkeys were not real, however, I imagined them at least pretending to shoot at a producer wearing a suit or a toy monkey but the after effects really make huge difference in that particular scene which I thought was really cool. Another scene I noticed was the scene where the game host is speaking to the "audience" or, after watching the B-roll clip, no one. In the movie, the host is talking to a large audience but after watching the first clip, it appears he isnt speaking to anyone. This blew me away because I really did believe there was people there. It still amazes me how many things you can add or change after a scene has been made. Given this is a huge film, I figured they would inquire some of these activities but not as much as they really have. Watching these clips really opened my eyes to how much more I have to learn ith post production and after production.

No comments:

Post a Comment