Monday, March 31, 2014

Divergent

I recently went to see Divergent for the second time in theaters and there were some scenes that really stood out to me.

When Tris (Shailene Woodley) is in the Dauntless compound I realized the lighting for the scenes were darker. In the novel Divergent by Veronica Roth, the Dauntless compound is underground so it made sense for the lighting to be darker since they are in a cave like setting.

In this clip I am showing , (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1N4nVb3Qew) you will notice, Tris Prior(Shailene Woodley) talks to Tori Wu (Maggie Q) about being Divergent.  The main color scheme of the Tattoo Parlor is red and black.  You can see the red is prominent but it doesn’t take over the whole shot.  The colors for the faction are Red and black, it seems necessary to use those colors.

I also noticed there was a light fixture to the left of Tori. That was used to give lighting to Tris’s face. I think it was a good decision to put the light there because if not Shailene’s face would not have been seen. We could not see her facial expressions.  I also see a backlight to help frame Shailene’s features a bit more.

I also noticed the camera zooms into Shailene’s face when Tori says, “Then you are already dead.”  It helped portrayed and show the emotion for the audience.

The second clip I enjoyed watching was when Tris jumped off the building into the Dauntless compound (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQLd_etD5RY). I noticed there were different camera angles used. When she is about the jump, there is a close up of her face determined to jump but still showing some fear.  When she jumps there is wide shots used to show her body falling. Then there is a bird’s eye view shot of her falling.  I saw some behind the scenes photos and there was a guy hanging with a harness on equipped with a camera and he filmed the bird’s eye scene which I thought was the best way to get the shot. When she had finished falling into the huge net, the camera shot changes to a worms eye view and she just looks at the sky. The shot i think was put there to show the audience what Tris felt after she did the most daring task of jumping off the building. 


No comments:

Post a Comment