Monday, February 24, 2014

The Pains of Production Majors

As a second year Interdisciplinary Studies Major, I have dealt with cameras for a short period of time.  In that time, I have learned more about cameras and production than I have ever thought there was to know about it.  I have learned how to operate a camera, how to properly light a person with backlight, and key light, and all other sorts of light.  I have been both an actor, a camera man, a sound man, a director, and a switchboard operator.  There are many things that this major has taught me, even if I thought I already knew how to do something, I have learned a better, more efficient way to do it.  This Interdisciplinary Studies major has taught me more than I ever thought that I would ever be able to learn about the production industry.


I can no longer watch a tv show, movie, or anything that has been recorded without noticing inaccuracies in continuity.  I can't listen to something without wondering what type of recording devices they used; if they used a boom mic. or maybe LAVs.  This has completely ruined movies for me, and usually the people sitting next to me as well, especially when I force them to rewind the movie so I can point out the mistakes.  Though all of these are negatives, and this may sound really corny, I am really happy about the friends that I have made throughout the past couple of years.  We've grown pretty close, and I hope that we never lose touch with each other, but it's really them who have helped me get through this last year of college.

1 comment:

  1. I specifically suggest in the syllabus not to discuss your production experiences for these blogs

    ReplyDelete