Wednesday, February 26, 2014

American Hustle-Blog #2

I was a big fan of “Silver Linings Playbook” so I decided to see “American Hustle” but I was very disappointed. “American Hustle” is set in the 70s about a con man named Irving and his partner Sydney who are forced to work for a FBI agent named Richie. As the couple dive deeper into the world of the mafia and Jersey powerbrokers things don’t go as planned. I was excited to go see it because of all of the Oscar nominations and the positive critic reviews; however the movie wasn’t something I’d watch again. There were a few things I liked about the film, like the characters and how they were fantastically portrayed by talented actors and actresses. The costume design also helped bring the characters to life. Their sexy, vintage clothing made it feel like the 70s. From the brown faded suits, to the curly hair, to the fur coats and sleek dresses. I also liked the different camera angles they chose, there were a lot of close ups and you were really able to get inside the character’s heads. What I didn’t like was that there was a lot of unnecessary dialogue.  Yes, it was very witty and sharp but it caused the film to me unnecessarily slow and long. It was built on a lot of hype, I was expecting much more. “American Hustle” didn’t have that spark that I was looking for. It was a solid drama but it was overrated and not worth so many Oscar nominations.  

1 comment:

  1. See some of my earlier comments on other blog posts. Dive deeper, get more analytical, and try to avoid sounding like an informal voice recommending (or in this case not recommending) a film.

    ReplyDelete