Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Across the Universe

          Over the weekend, I was encouraged by some friends to watch a movie called, Across the Universe.  It was directed by Julie Taymor and written by Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais.  I was a little nervous at first because I had heard that it was a weird, trippy musical that will just confuse me.  Well, everyone was right and wrong at the same time.  It was in fact a weird, trippy musical, however it didn't confuse me as much as they thought.

          The concept behind the movie, was that every song that they sing is a Beatles song.  It follows the life of Jude and Lucy and their crazy drugged out adventure.   The scenes were psychedelic and I was forced to rub my eyes a few times to see if I was actually watching what I thought I was.  The use of colors and illusions kept the scenes exciting and full of life and wonder.  It makes you feel as if you're seeing what people would see if they were doing the drugs that people were doing back in the 60's.

          I thought it was a very well thought out film and I would recommend it to my friends.

1 comment:

  1. Is this all you can say about the film as someone with production knowledge? What about the lighting, editing, soundtrack, etc. See some of my earlier comments.

    ReplyDelete