Thursday, February 6, 2014

"Perks of Being a Wallflower"

I think we all can find a movie we connect to, that makes us secound guess what we did back in high school or maybe how we acted towards a situation or someone. I had read the book Perks of Being a Wallflower back in high school and eagerly awaited the movie -- when they announced it would be coming out. I recently watched it again and I was able to not only connect with Charlie, but connect in my head the reasons for the lighting used in a certain scene. Or why they shot the "high above" angle, which was looking down on both Charlie and Sam, during his LSD snow shoveling trip. Which at first I didn't like, but after re-watching the scene, I get it, or at least to me, it means to show the interaction between the two. So often in movies we have close ups that show the facial expressions, but here in this scene, it was about body language, connecting two people who desperately needed each other. Not only was I able to understand the movie more, it made it more enjoyable, to be able to understand how lighting is used to illuminate the certain specs in the eyes of Sam, or the sadness Charlie was feeling. I, myself, was not a "Wallflower" but I connected with Charlie, his character a lot. His past experiences and the way he looked at people. The way he connected with music. I guess, some part of me is still longing to meet my "dynamic duo" (Patrick & Sam) to whisk me away and open my mind up to new experiences, possibilities and happiness. This movie had it all, the romance, the comedy, and it was thought provoking. And that's our job as a production student, to show our audience something that not only can make them laugh, but can make them cry and make them feel something that resonates within them.

No comments:

Post a Comment