Thursday, May 1, 2014

Frozen

So I was wondering what all the fuss was about when every kid and teenager was talking about frozen. So of course, I watched it (with the kids I babysit). At first, I thought it was just going to be another silly animated disney film about a princess who needed saving (which in reality, it was). But I ended up really liking it. So what made the film so special?

Well first of all, the music was corny at first. I hate musicals and know a lot of other people who do. But for this one film, I think I can make an exception. It really added to the overall feeling of the movie. It was cut and silly and made the story tie together lose ends. The real fun though was the ice queen/ princess. She was the villain and the victim at the same time, and that was a bit of a twist. You could not help but feel bad for her, yet she was making her sister's life, the protagonist, a living nightmare. She shunned her sister and then made her work to come help her.

It was a good movie for both children and adults. It had silly parts to it, like Olaf the lovable snowman. It also had serious parts, for the more mature audiences like the death of the two sisters parents. It held a dynamic that had everyone enticed almost right from the start (aside from the singing). The storyline was the the key point to the movie.

With great animations and likable characters, the main draw was the plot. Starting out with two girls who were best friends and quickly escalating to two sisters who were complete strangers. From there, a twist comes that brings the two girls together for a night, only to pull them further apart. But the determined younger sister keeps the viewer enticed to watch as she goes on a journey to save her.

I thought this movie was particularly good because it focused more on the relationship of the two sisters rather than the usual love story. It showed younger girls that they can take charge of dangerous situations. Even though she does need the help of a man, in the end it is the two sisters who save each other. It creates a feeling of family empowerment and motivates all to reach out to their brothers and sisters, even if they have become estranged. The visual adds were cool as well, with an ice castle and a whole sea under ice. It was not was I was expecting and I am surprised I liked it enough to write about it.

The only criticism I would make would be that the is ALWAYS a love story. The movie did not need that aspect and could have ended it without the happy ever after of two lovers. Not that I don't like love stories, it's just that in disney movies, they are so predictable.

No comments:

Post a Comment