Friday, January 24, 2014

"Her"

Thursday night I went to see Spike Jonze's new film Her. Cast all delivered fantastic performances. Joaquin Phoenix portrayal of Theodore Twombly, the film's protagonist, is award worthy. The humanity displayed in his performance is captivating, I really felt for him through out the movie. His chemistry with the disembodied voice of Scarlett Johansson was pretty magical. The fact that one of the major characters was mostly represented by her voice and a small cellphone like device, is one of the most interesting parts of the film. I feel Jonze made a brave decision to write this film and I believe it paid off and it makes a very engrossing story. The plot is laid out as sort of an existential love story that explores the relationship between humans and their computers through the life of a man who falls in love with artificial intelligent operating system. Beyond the main plot the set design and concept presented a realistic presentation of the not so distant future. The vibrant color pallet and playful cinematography enhanced my experience through out the picture. Much like his last work, Where The Wild Things Are, the camera helps the audience experience the film through the point of view of the main protagonist. Much of the success of the piece is due to the first person feel. The only down side to it is how uncomfortable some of the more awkward parts of the story are. Despite the few uncomfortable moments I would recommend this film to any of you.

4 comments:

  1. "Her" was absolutely fantastic! While I totally agree about some parts being a bit uncomfortable, I think it really added to the films message-which is delivered beautifully at the end of the film. Definitely worthy of a watch or two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard mixed feelings about this particular work, but whatever I hear, I can't help but be fascinated by the simple concept of a man in love with a piece of artificial intelligence. And as you've already put out there, the story is much more than just simply that. Judging from only seeing the previews, I had a feeling that the "filters" you mentioned would be used extensively throughout the film, but I'm glad to hear it was done in a very tasteful and effective manner. From the sound of things, it truly has a way of reaching out to the audience, and for that, I'll definitely be viewing this in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree, the movie was shot beautifully and I remember thinking the entire time that it looked so pretty. There's probably a better way to describe that but that's honestly what I thought as I watched it. The set design was incredibly believable as a not-too-distant-future and I get what you mean by the "humanity" of the story being captivating, I was completely sucked into the movie and completely empathized with everything Theodore was feeling. One thing I would mention was how perfectly the soundtrack fit with how the movie looked. Every scene was very soft and muted and the music seemed to reflect that to add another dimension to the film. I think I'd recommend it to everyone too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never got the chance to see the movie, nor do I ever think I will ever get to see the movie, but through your explanation I feel like I have basically seen it anyway. This was a very informative blog that I will hold dear to my heart for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete